Whether you’re trying to become pregnant now or planning to grow your family in a few years, there are steps you can take today to ensure a happy, healthy pregnancy and baby.
- Get your annual well-woman check-up – Even before you become pregnant, stay on top of your health with regular visits to your doctor. In addition to helping you get ahead of any chronic diseases or issues, these regular visits will establish a doctor-patient relationship you can count on. Use each visit to arm yourself with the information you need to stay in control of your health, pregnant or not.
- Be your healthiest self – Studies show pre-pregnancy health makes a big difference in the outcome of your pregnancy. If you’re thinking about becoming pregnant, take time now to get any chronic conditions, such as diabetes, hypertension, or excessive weight, under control. By ensuring that you are feeling your best before you become pregnant, you will improve your chances of a healthy pregnancy
- Explore your options and resources – Where are the doctors, clinics, or hospitals near your home or workplace? What alternatives options, such as doulas or midwives, are available to you? You may be surprised to find that there are places offering care much closer to you than you think. By exploring the resources and health care in your area, you’ll be ready to make the strongest possible start in your pregnancy.
- Plan ahead – Now that you know what resources are available, what kind of care do you think you want or need? Begin to plan out where will you go for your prenatal care so that making your first appointment is an easy call to make.
- Begin prenatal care right away – Your first call after you see those two pink lines should be to your doctor (don’t worry, we won’t tell your mother you didn’t call her first!). Prenatal care that begins in the first trimester greatly increases the chances of a healthy and successful pregnancy.
Ready to start taking control of your pre-pregnancy health? Browse our resources page to find programs, education, and care near you.